Mama Remembers-Do You?

Where were you November 22, 1963?

Do you remember your first 45?  Your first LP?  Or first transistor?
Reel-to-reel tape deck?  8-track tapes?
Did you play “pong”?  Hula hoops, Chatty Cathy, Betsy Wetsy & Barbie!  Silly putty, Slinkey, Mr. Potato Head & ViewMaster.
ONLY CBS, NBC and CBS!  Remember the National Anthem was played at 2am, followed by the “test pattern”?
Putting tin foil on the TV antenna.  Getting up to change the channel (no remote) and change the volume.
COLOR TV!
Do you remember what L.S.M.F.T. stood for?
Who/what would rather “fight than switch”?
My “fancy” semi-formal 6th grade graduation dress was VERY expensive!  It cost $22!
I received my first pair of “French Heels” in 1965, along with a garter best and my first “nylons”.  (Pantyhose weren’t available until 1970!)
We realize now that “Duck & Cover” was not going to save us!
Did you have both “hat & gloves” for Easter Services?
TV dinners were in metal trays that had to be baked, because microwaves weren’t available.
Roller skates had a “key”, were metal and had metal wheels for using on concrete.
Telephones had “dials” not buttons.  In every house, ONE phone and ONE TV.
Phone was on a “party line”…nosy neighbors would listen in.
S & H Green Stamps
Mr. GreenJeans
Manual typewriters and Gregg Shorthand.  Carbon paper.
WRITING letters and mailing them.  Long distance call was a “treat”.
Men landing on the MOON!
Percolator coffee pots.
Girls couldn’t wear pants to school, only dresses.
Nurses wore all white.  With their “caps”.
Pay phones.
Home Economics (girls only) Woodshop (boys only)

64 Responses to Mama Remembers-Do You?

Oh the damn Nursing Caps! (But the all white uniforms were good)

My auntie was SO PROUD of earning that cap! She worked hard to earn it! All that starch in those uniforms….and the squeaky shoes….were an audible clue she was trying to sneak up on you!

2. spellbound4 says:

OMG!!! You have to remind me of my age, don’t ya? I remember every single one!!!! LSMFT = only the strong men would smoke those!!

Laughing..Lowell you see by the comments that you and I aren’t alone, spellbound!! We aren’t the only ones who remember!

3. Karen H says:

O yeah! Also cassette tapes, Barbie with bendable joints, white out for typing mistakes, Mouse Trap, Lincoln Logs, walking or biking to school, metal lunch boxes, air raid drills.

Here is your useless information for today…Michael Nesmith’s (from the Monkees, remember?) mom was the inventor of White-out,,,did Ya know that???

Yes, I had several lunch boxes…my first was the “red barn”…but I had others….

My uncle Bill took me to Kindergarden at the “little red school building (a one room school building, grade k to 8) on the horse…he went on the the “big school” after he dropped me off…the district consolidated the elementary grades the next year, and they closed all the one-room schools, and we had to go to town…my very FIRST love was an 8th grader, named “Butch” (that’s a 50’s name, ISNT it?) …

4. State Eunice says:

LSMFT had two meanings. 1.) was the Lucky Strike, and 2.) Lord Save Me From Torture….. 🙂

The ad said “US Tareyton smokers would rather fight than switch”. That grammar error drove me nuts. WE would rather…
    Nov 22, 1963, junior high English. Even at that young age, we were stunned. We knew how to hide under our desks in the event of a bomb. Some even had a bomb shelter in their backyard. Ahh yes, the good ‘ol days.

I remember thinking that the flimsey desk was NOT going to protect my HEAD…I was SURE that it was going to fall on me…and my head would look like a dropped watermelon….

I remember watching the funeral for 3 days….”John John” with his adorable salute…and Jackie’s great dignity…I remember staring at the speaker box in the classroom…as the School Secretary made the announcement that JFK had been shot….and being unable to grasp that it had happened…

Yes, I was in third grade, our teacher sat at her desk and cried. They closed school and sent everybody home.

6. oldcargal says:

Not only do I remember (am I that old?) I actually have in my home:
    Betsy Wetsy, dial telephone, metal roller skates with the key, also wood wheel skates with the carry case with a Hub Roller Rink decal, , S&H Green stamps, percolator, Hoola Hoop, a suitcase that turns into a picnic table with wood legs complete with dishes and stuff, I have a juke box with hundreds of 45’s, and we have an antique Lincoln car with an 8 track player. I also have finger clips (long hair clips), saddle shoes, chrome table & chairs, should I continue? I am totally lost in the 50’s.

7. oldcargal says:

It’s not Betsy Wetsy, I have Tiny Tears.

I “spoiled” myself in the 70s (?) and bought an original Cabbage Patch baby….because it reminded me of the baby my great grandmother made for me…it had a cloth body and a porcelain head…(but SOMEONE that I won’t name, in an attempt to “get even” with me…(for putting a dent in his car)….drop kicked her, and broke her head…

That “baby” was the only thing I grabbed during my last trip “home”….I havent a clue where all my other “treasures” disappeared to…when the news that my family had been in an auto accident…and no one was at “home” for a while…there were multiple breakins…and anything that wasn’t nailed down, “sprouted legs and walked off”….sometimes I am amazed at what people will do….

Gramma always said “look for the silver lining” in anything that happens….so, I guess the silver lining was that I learned from this that “locks only stop honest people” and secondly, and more importantly…that THINGS are only THINGS….

Material items, no matter how much you love them, can be lost…on the other hand…no one can touch the memories I have of the people I’ve loved, they cannot take the morals and values instilled by my Gramma, they cannot touch my self-esteem, or the feelings of love I have for my friends and family…

You aren’t the house you live in, the car you drive, or the clothing you wear…..while I WISH I hadn’t lost my treasures…knowing that other friends still have similar (or like) items (like you, CarGal) gives me joy….

Ah…my saddle oxfords…the pair I HAD to have, because everyone else had them! I wore them out several times over…replacing the soles until the uppers were no longer serviceable!! Somewhere upstairs…my DH is hiding his penny loafers….he’s hiding them, because I told him I was going to put 1951 pennies in them…haha!

Thank you for the comments, CarGal!!!

• Connie Rust says:

Omg I haven’t thought about saddle shoes in decades! I went to a Catholic grade school so we didn’t get to pick our clothes but my grandparents took me shopping every year for a new pair of saddle shoes. I hated those dam things. I wanted penny loafers like my friends had.

I sometimes wonder whatever happened to Mercurochrome (sic), I remember being COVERED in that orange stain thru quite a few summers. Also, I haven’t seen Bactine in years.

I hated that Merurochrome stuff! I think my mother had that and some sort of magic salve that healed everything, it seemed. Don’t forget about Campo Phenique in the little green bottle!

I wasn’t sure if they still made that! That was the stuff your mom put on your wound when it wasn’t your fault, when she wanted you to remember the pain she put on the mercurochrome, lol!

• Noreen Simak says:

Hi, how about Iodine? Boric acid. whole new world out there
      Not to be forgotten~LSMFT
      Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco~I remember when they were .25 a pack.

I recall when you got 2 pennies under the cellophane of the Lucky Strikes if you used a cigarette machine (because they were 33cents but you had to put 35 cents in the machine). I recall that cause I got to keep the pennies.

They were .28 when I first started smoking…I remember going to New York and they were $1 in the machine downstairs at the hotel…I SWORE I’d QUIT before paying a DOLLAR again…sadly, I didn’t quit till they were $7.50 at the Stop-n-Rob.. BUT now that I’ve managed to quit…I have a closet full of Dooney and Coach handbags that I couldn’t afford when I was a smoker…(now, over 4 years tobacco free!)

I remember being able to fill my gas tank with a $5 dollar bill…oh! And “E” tickets at DisneyLand…E rides were the Matterhorn and Space Mountain. Entering the park you got a book of tickets…A, B, C, D and E…there were about 5 or 6 “A” tickets-for attractions like “Lincoln” on Main Street..but only 2 E tickets. My sister & I liked taking Gramma to Disney.. We could always talk her into swapping an “A” ticket for an “E” ticket…we thought we were Smooth Operators, and that Gramma didn’t know how “valuable” that E Ticket was…(I’ve come to realize that it was GRAMMA who was the Smooth Operator…letting us learn to negotiate for our desire, instead of just GIVING IT to us…that sneaky Gramma of mine…she was right…you are bound to learn something new every day, unless you are VERY careful!)

I miss mercurochrome. A lot. I trusted it to burn out any and all infectious material immediately.

I think that was it, it marked you as a poison dart frog and all things stayed away. So, it worked.

Well, it marked you for sure! (damn stuff had to WEAR off as soap and water did little to dull the glow). My guess is the ‘grown-ups’ felt that if something ‘stung’ …..it worked. HUMPH! …..errrrr…NO!

I remember all of those too! November 22, 1963? The day the music died. I was young, but I still remember that day well. When I was a child, I do remember the Slinky, those little slot race cars, Chinese checkers, dominoes, two square and hop scotch! HIde and seek in the dark was the best. Kitty Clover potato chips, Orange Crush floats, two for a penny candy, Lucky Stripes were 35 cents and they would hand them over the counter to a little girl whose Daddy was waiting in the truck. 25 cent a gallon gas — you could drive around and around the little town for a long time on 50 cents. Gas wars! Drive-in theaters with lawn chairs in the back of the pick-up and you brought your iced tea and popcorn from home. Love it! Thanks Mama!

Oh you got me on a roll now – Bobby Vinton (she wore bluuuuuueeee VEL VET Whoa Oh Oh bluer than velvet were her eyes) Jan and Dean (won’t come back from Deadman’s Curve) The Brothers Four (Froggy went a-courting and he did go um hum) Johnny Horton (In 1814 they took a little trip…) Roger Miller (I’m a man of means by no means) Johnny Cash (I fell into a burning ring of fire) I could go on and on!

Yup! I have a Tee-Shirt that says : I May Be OLD; But…..I Got To See All The GOOD BANDS!

Johnny Yuma was a rebel, he roamed through the west…..

“Branded! Scorned as the one who ran.
      What do you do when you’re branded, and you know you’re a man?
      Wherever you go for the rest of your life you must prove … you’re a man.”

“Have gun will travel, reads the card of a man
      A knight without armor in a savage land
      His fast gun hire, heeds the calling wind
      A soldier of fortune, is a man called Paladin”

Those oldies but goodies reminds me of you
      The songs of the past bring back memories of you
      I always remember the first night we met
      The songs they were playing I never will forget….

Keep them doggies rollin’ Rawhide!

I was TRYin to remember that one!! 20 Mule Team Borax, too!!

Oh…and “we have a really big shew…”

Oh, Raw-Chester…..

Now wait a minute Mr. Dillon….

One of these days, Alice, one of these days…

And a-way we go…..

On this land we put our brand, Cartwright is the name, Fortune smiled, the day we filed the Ponderosa claim. Here in the west,
        we’re livin’ in the best BONANZA!!!

11. Jeannie says:

I remember all of the things mentioned and more. The first black and white TV then the first color TV. The first microwave that my husband and I put a hot dog in it with the bun. The bun was like rubber and you couldn’t eat it. Live and learn. I was born in 47 and my husband was born in 45. It’s amazing what history and inventions we have lived through. Just think the first computer took up a whole room. Now you can carry in in you purse or wear it on your wrist. I love this modern world. Someone that can’t leave the house has the whole world in their hands.

Jeannie–I remember talking to my great grandmother in the late 60s…she recalled the first time she saw a “horseless carriage” and how it frightened the horses when a motorist passed…(and that the horse drawn sleigh worked better in deep snow!). Then, she closed her reminisces with “and now theyve landed a man on the moon! Imagine that!

My grandmother wrote to all of us grandchildren once a month…and never forgot a birthday (for all 36 grandchildren!). I think if she had been born 50 years later, she would have used email and owned a tablet!! (Of course, that would have taken away Grampa’s complaint that “the sound of paper rustling” was keeping him awake!). (It would have been the sound of her fingers tapping on the touch screen!!)

Thanks for your comment!

12. Noreen Simak says:

Jeannie, I also remember all ! also Pearl Harbor, 2nd WW. President Roosevelt, Fords with rumble seats.I am OLD! We married in ’49. had an ice box at first. Toilet with water box near the ceiling. Giveaways at the movies. First technicolor movie ( Wizard of Oz) I was only 8 on that one. Oh yes I am a wealth of info.! LOL. it aint easy being 83~ Noreen

God bless and keep you, Noreen!! Thank you for commenting! Renae and I only remember Truman…vaguely…we are both post-Korean War babies (we are “middle age”–in the middle of needing Pampers and Depends)!

I had thought about posting a poll…asking if readers preferred having me fill in for Kelly on days that she wasn’t able write the blog…or…if they would prefer to just wait until she could get back to the computer….but…I think that I have the answer! This post gave us some interesting answers from many readers who usually don’t comment!

Wizard of Oz is my favorite movie!

• Noreen Simak says:

Hi Mama, I remember election day, Truman against Dewey. Everyone was soooo sure Dewey would win! The Cleveland paper went to press about 4am , announced Dewey the winner! Well Truman crapped him by a landslide!!. I liked Truman. was 16 at the time , felt he was honest. Remember Hiroshima and Nagasaki also. (N.Korea take note). My husband was in Korean War saw Nagasaki in ’53 still dead as a doornail. Keep writing..

Dishes were given at the movies and also in boxes of laundry detergent.

I remember giving my poor son something called “paregoric” when he was a baby to “calm a fretful child”…it helped with his “colic”…upset tummy, etc…Renae knows what it is…for those that don’t…it is an opium based “medicine” no longer sold over the counter,,,(no, I have NEVER confessed to him…there are just SOMEthings a mom keeps to herself!)

I had a complete set of those dishes, Renae!

Good old Paregoric! (I still swear by that stuff). It went from being OTC (over the counter) to Exempt narcotic (meaning you signed a book to get it) to now ? (most pharmacists haven’t a clue to what it is/was). I still swear by the stuff!
        As for the ‘free’ dishes, I only got rid of the last one in 2008. Pretty they weren’t …but they sure were made sturdy!

I remember those dishes, too, with an image of a wheat stalk in the middle and a gold border on the rim? Also I remember tea towels in the detergent — my mother never had to buy a tea towel!

14. Thelma Pottorff says:

I was a Senior in High School when JFK was assassinated. I’ll never forget how numb I felt. It had nothing to do with politics, just such a sense of uncertainty.

Yes, the feeling of uncertainty was pervasive…I remember hearing the adults talking about the assassination being the start of World War III, not really too far out there, considering the bay of pigs…nuclear war…I confess…I was frightened…

15. Newbie Doobie Doo says:

Mama, I have an answer…and, for your sage consideration, a question:

A. The womb. My aunt and my mom got preg at about the same time. We’re both weird, they say they smacked on wild game.

Q. No offense for such a no-kill shelter, but wasn’t Buddy Holley the inspiration for the Day the Music Died?

Q. Kelly, was JFK’s death announced over your school like it was here? Just wondering.

Mama, I was kind of lost, wondering what you were going to tie JFK’s murder to. Then it hit me, Michael Baden did Dorothy Kilgallen’s suspicious autopsy. I was hoping you’d tie Baden into Stabby’s Ninja theory?!

@Noobie—You are correct…February 3, 1959 was The Day the Music Died (Bye, bye Miss American Pie, drove my Chevy to the levy but the levy was dry…)

Richie Valens- La Bamba (Para bailar La Bamba
    Para bailar La Bamba
    Se necessita una poca de gracia
    Una poca de gracia
    Para mi, para ti, ay arriba, ay arriba
    Ay, arriba arriba
    Por ti sere, por ti sere, por ti sere)

The Big Bopper (Helllloooo Baby! Chantilly Lace and a pretty face and a pony tail, hangin down, a wiggle in her walk and a giggle in her talk, make the world go round…)

And Buddy Holly (oh, that’ll be the day when you you say goodbye…)

The six-seater Beechcraft airplane the three men were in crashed into an iowa cornfield. Holly was only 22, Valens was only 17. I read an article early this year that they are reopening the investigation (again). Too many things didn’t make sense. Trivial pursuit answer…Waylon Jennings gave up his seat to the Big Bopper, because Big Bopper (aka Richardson) wasn’t feeling well and wanted to get to a doctor (what? No doctors in Iowa??)

11/22/63 was the day the dream of Camelot died.

“The Womb” is an answer for a LOT of things!! I think that many young women do not realize just how complicated our bodies are, and they don’t understand cause and effect. I confirmed with my pain management doc just today that there was a correlation between chronic pain and physical/emotional/sexual child abuse. It’s a complicated subject, but it is difficult to ignore statistics.

When I was young..,lots of things in life surprised me…I’m more jaded now…and it has to be a really, really, REALLY GOOD one to mash my “Surprise!” button now….”I’m not surprised…” Is becoming a catch phrase…

No harm no foul, you are right Newbie! — Yes, Buddy Holly was Don McLean’s hero but we all wanted to believe it was about Kennedy when the song came out in my time — it was a time of tie dyes, hip hugger bell bottoms, tube tops, jesus sandals, leather fringe vests, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Vietnam, sit-ins, protests, the Pill! Gloria Steinham “a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle”, Andy Warhol, psychedelic art (and other things), flowers in your hair, Woodstock, the Summer of Love, Four Dead in Ohio and Nixon’s coming! We were crashing through all the boxes that we had all been placed into and most of the time we were very very wrong, but we sure were creative! I was the baby in my family so I got to experience my older brother’s (another decade older) world which was more 50s artists and I used to listen to those old records and sign along. I love both, but I feel a little guilty sometimes that we were too brash, too eager to recreate the world and lost a lot of things that should have been kept.

I SWEAR that if I had been forced to listen just ONE more time to “there’s a crazy little shack beyond the tracks…everybody calls it the Sugar Shack…” I would have been crazier than I am!

17. Newbie Doobie Doo says:

Kelly, I hope you see this as helpful, but I really miss your crime coverage. Even if there’s nit a hit mess live stream like JA, I really get excited at your take on a trial topic. If there isn’t a live trial in, jump on a soap opera type mentality to offer to US in daily snippets? That way you don’t have to spend so much time transcribing, not to mention watching a live stream.

I have no idea what the internet rules on using a papers archival daily update. Your humor abd imaginary characters are the meats and potatoes of my interest. I understand I’m just one reader. Maybe you all will disagree?

Mama, your own blog really represents you, and I think posting your entries there is logical abd worthwhile for our need to read.

I hope my feedback can be taken for what it us: MORE, PREFERABLY DAILY SNARK!

• Newbie Doobie Doo says:

Sorry for typos, darn auto correct

Trust me you don’t miss it half as much as I do. Not feeling anything right now, writers block I guess. Mama writes when I get in states like this. Doesn’t happen often but apparently it does happen. I appreciate the feedback and thank you for it but mama stays.

Kelly, we all miss and love you and hope to see you writing again soon with your own unique brand of satire. Mama, you are loved and appreciated. You keep us going in between times and I for one treasure and love you, too. I always enjoy both of you!

Hai Truly, me too but I seem to have a wicked case of writers block at the moment because nothing is striking my fancy. I though the chick that thinks she is black did for a minute but she didn’t. I love mama’s posts.

Kelly, check out the woman correctional officer who helped two murderers escape a maximum security prison in New York. Rumor has it she had a sexual affair with both murderers and she has admitted to giving them some tools! She’s in need of a Really Big Mean Dog smackdown!

Oh yeah Kelly, Do something on that woman. She has to be a source of inspiration for your sort of ‘snark’/ satire.

Maybe just a general what the fuck were they thinking post? There are a lot of those I’ve been wondering about.

Yup! quite a few of those to choose from: the (former) prison worker who will now have an ‘inside view’…..the white chick who thinks she’s black…….the stupid lawyer who came out for the guy arrested for the quad killing in DC where his defense was that (the client) “didn’t even like pizza”…….so yeah, there is a lot to choose from.

Knock, knock, hello? Kelly? Can you come out and play?

Hai Twister, I’m here. Just not feeling anything to write about. But I’m here.