House Update-Final Chapter

Well, at least the “semi-final” chapter!  We close on Friday, just 5 days from now…and only a few “minor” items remain to be done: painting the garage doors, installing the freezer and the oven, the final paint touch ups throughout, etc…so, without further ado, I present: Casa Azul…

At the foyer; looking into the Family Room, immediate left is the Billiards Room, immediate right is the Formal Dining Room, ahead and to the left, the Master Suite, straight ahead, the patio & pool,  ahead and right, the Dining Nook, Kitchen, ahead, to the right and down the hall, Butlers pantry, Drop Zone and laundry and to the right and down the left hall, DH’s office, Guest Suite and my Studio.
billiards Room
Guest Suite Bath
My Studio
Back yard–Left
Back Yard, Right

Boo “helping”

The BEST PART……
Well….that’s the end for now, ladies….I won’t make you suffer thru my interior design troubles….we are very happy with the final result…and I know we will have many happy years living in our beautiful home!  Thanks for your support and comments throughout the process!!
Mama

16 Responses to House Update-Final Chapter

It is STUNNING! Now, when can I move in?
    BTW: I have never heard of a ‘drop zone’. What exactly is it?

“Drop Zone” seems to be a new invention…there are baskets up in the shelves for mail for each person, USB ports to charge electronics, hooks behind the doors to hang purses, etc, and a few drawers for “junk in your pockets”….the Drop Zome is located right there at the door into the house from the garage…right where you can “stop and drop” all your stuff! Then, next stop zone is the pantry to put away groceries….there are several different cabinet choices…but since we live in Florida, we dnt need a seat to take off our snow boots…and because it’s two adults, we don’t need “high school lockers” for our school books and coats…I know you’ve seen those…it’s a “mini-mud-room”….with the “smart home” technology to accommodate cell phones and tablets….the original plans called for a larger space….but I didn’t want it to become a “junk room”…so I used my magic eraser and my drafting pen and “donated” the extra space to the pantry and laundry room…where the extra space wouldn’t invite dropping more than the essentials…in the lower cabinets is a “recycle bin” for the numerous catalogs and junk mail we receive….(that’s what you get for ordering everything “online”

It certainly took “the Brains” long enough to figure out that there NEEDED to be ONE PLACE for us ladies to always put our handbag and keys!!! (Proof, once again, that there aren’t enough lady architects!!)

Thank you. “Mini mud room” said it all. I had wondered what had ever happened to those rooms. (I miss them…..also great for an area to train puppies). Now I have my answer! 🙂

P.S….are you SURE you want to come back to the USA??? Everyone down here is threatening to “move to Canada if _______ gets elected….”

Hell, if I even cross the border I need to have a place to stay because until some decisions are made I can no longer get back if I go ‘cross. So…….your place looks good to me!
        On the ‘other subject’, I have finally figured out just who I am voting for……and it is neither the clown nor the criminal. (Nor is it the Green Party or the Libertarian Party). It is, however, someone I can actually vote FOR and still sleep at night.

Oh Mama!!!! It is so beautiful!!! You did a fabulous job. I love it! Will be back later!

3. Ginger says:

Welcome home sweet home. It’s just lovely. Thanks for sharing this chapter in your life with us. So happy for you!

Wow! Love all the trees in your backyard. Great place to slide into your golden years.

Twister: Mama may be ‘sliding’….but I am having to be DUG by a rope into my (ahem) golden years!

er;;;;;;that should be DRAGGED

• Twister says:

Renae, and just who have decided to vote for? ‘Cause I can’t get comfortable with either.

I’m doing a write in for the person who SHOULD have been the nominee…….Joe Biden.
        Call it a wasted vote or whatever, but there is just no way I could vote for either of the 2 candidates who are running their mouths 24/7.

I’m going to FLOAT thru my “golden years”…just me and my “noodle”…Now doesn’t that sound dirty?

On the agenda aThis week…..
      *Starting to pack the kitchen & bath….
      *Order the bookcase/cabinets from Restoration Hardware
      *Order Area rug for Studio
      *Order MayLine 60×38 drafting table & SteeleCase Leap Drafting Stool

Tell me what you think….
      My housekeeper is always saying how “broke” she is…so I asked her if she would like to help me pack…and then put things into a small moving van…she said that she would “love to”…to just let her know….

Last night, I sent her a tweet & said we would probably be doing some moving this week..then I asked her how much per hour she wanted…here is what she answered….

“I’d be glad to help y’all move! I don’t charge by the hour, I give a flat rate after I’m done working, because I kick ass”. (Imagine if you said THAT to your boss!!)

Now…another twist in the story….

She started working for me about 6-7 months ago…she used to arrive at noon, or shortly thereafter…and leave at about 3:30 or so. In addition to her agreed upon tasks…she would put clean sheets on the bed in the Master Suite, do a “quick-clean” in the Guest Bath that no one uses, and fold the clothes that were in the dryer……I began giving her an extra $30 every week for the “extras” she was doing….

Slowly….very slowly…the “extras” we’re no longer done…first the folding of the clothes, then ignoring the guest bath…and a few weeks ago, she stopped making the bed completely…she began showing up later and later (supposedly because of traffic) and leaving earlier & earlier….

The visit 5 1/2 weeks ago, she began at 1:30 and she was LONG gone by 3:00….after she left…I decided to pack the DVDs that are stored under the tv…discovered that she’s only been “dusting” the inch or two of the shelves that “show”…the dust was so thick on top of the DVDs and behind the DVDs that I ended up with an asthma attack! She quit dusting the bookshelves upstairs too…I’ve found all sorts of places that if she pays any attention to them at all…it’s done “half-fast”…she doesn’t move things…she kinda “cleans around them”…like the pictures on the shelf, the toaster and utensil jar in the kitchen, she doesn’t move things on the fireplace mantle….she “forgot” to dust the big ceramic urn, the Foo Dogs at the front door, the bottom shelf of the “entry table” was missed entirely, and she dusted “around” things on the top of the table (I.e: the lamp, the decorative copper plate and the small bronze sculpture…) and she quit cleaning the tile around the bird cage…

She changed the appointment day…moving my cleaning date from Thursday to Wednesday…she said it was for “better scheduling…and later that day, she said she quit cleaning one of her “Wednesday appointments” because she “can’t stand to work for racists & bigots”….(she is a Cajun from Louisana…& looks “multi-racial”…now, I don’t have a racist bone in my body…but, I’m getting a weird feeling here….)

I’m STILL paying the extra “tip” when she comes…I DO NOT LIKE CONFRONTATION in ANY WAY….I’m afraid that if I stop paying the “tip” it will cause a confrontation…either with her…or her boss…and I don’t want to complain to either of them!!

And, I’m not too hot with hiring someone who insists that they will tell ME …AFTER the job is DONE…how much the entire job is…

I’m beginning to question if I might need to change cleaning services…paying a little over $100 an hour to have a shower, sink and tile floor in the bathroom, vacume 2 small rooms, wipe down two small cabinets and mop a 5 X 7 kitchen tile floor isn’t just a LITTLE overpriced….

We don’t use, or even go into the guest room & bath; my DH cleans his own office (due to his responsibilities, not even *I* go into his office!); I keep the door to the third bath locked because that’s where we keep our medications (and jewelry) and store our firearms; and, for the last year, I’ve been using the dining room as a storage area for things I’ve managed to oak and boxes of items that we’ve bought on “sale” for the new house; and, finally, I’ve been.growing my “garden” out in the “Florida Room”…and I didn’t want any.”chemicals” out there…so, all she’s been responsible for is the super-small kitchen, vacume small living room, vacume master bedroom carpet and clean master bedroom bath…

No wonder she’s done in an hour!!

I think I answered my own questions…didn’t I?

You definitely answered your own question. Get someone new as fast as you can! I never paid that much for one to do a hell of a lot more! As for a tip? I would never tip that much with the exception of a day that windows or some other onerous task was being done. Hey, for that price…..you can get a nurse to do it…….(you can’t have the dust due to your asthma therefore, it is a medical necessity for the cleaning to be done/therefore it falls under medical and your nurse can and will do it). Check with your local Community college or something and hire a nursing student. You will get a lot more bang for your buck.